Here are the topics for our catch up activities. Please prepare a PowerPoint Presentation containing the following information. Be ready to present your PPT in the class.
I am expecting your PPTs on Monday, February 17, 2013.
Topic # 1: Where in the world is the Philippines?
- What is the Geographic Coordinate System? How can it be use to determine the location of a particular place?
- Show an image/s of the Earth and indicate the location of the following:
- North Pole
- South Pole
- Prime Meridian
- Tropic of Cancer
- Tropic of Capricorn
- Arctic Circle
- Antarctic Circle
3. What is the location of Philippines in terms of longitude and latitude?
4. Determine the geographic coordinates of the following cities:
- Cagayan de Oro
- General Santos
- Alabel, Sarangani Province
Topic #2: Where in the world is the Philippines?
- Show a world map and label the following:
- Philippine archipelago
- Asian continent
- Malay Peninsula
- Isthmus of Kra
- Indonesian Archipelago
- Australian continent
ii. Bodies of Water
- Philippine Sea
- South China Sea
- Indian Ocean
- Pacific Ocean
iii. Show at least 10 pictures of the different natural resources found in the Philippines, include details about the location of these natural resources.
Topic # 3 Water Resources and Biodiversity
- What are the different uses of water? Show pictures of how people use water.
- Where does the water in your community come from? Show pictures of different water sources in your community.
- What is a watershed? Show photos of watersheds in the Philippines and diagrams illustrating how a watershed serves as source of water.
- Discuss the relationship between a healthy watershed and rich biodiversity.
Topic # 4 Factors Affecting Watersheds
- Explain how the following affect the amount of water in watershed:
- Vegetation cover
- Slope of the area
- Kind of soil
- Amount of rainfall
You can refer to the following YouTube videos:
You may download the videos and show them to the class.
Topic # 5 How are soils formed from rocks?
- Show pictures showing the processes of soil formation.
- How do the temperature and rainfall affect soil formation?
Topic # 6 Where are the mineral deposits in the Philippines?
- Show a picture of Metallic Deposits Map of the Philippines.
- Show a picture of Map of Trenches and Faults in the Philippines.
- Show a Map of Volcanoes in the Philippines.
- Complete the following table:
|Metal, in symbols(Ex. Au)||Metal, in words(Ex. Gold)||Province/Region in the Philippines Where the Metals are Found||Geologic Structure Near the Location of the Metallic Deposits|
5. Are there metallic deposits in our region? Where are they found?
6. Why do you think are metallic deposits abundant in places where there are trenches and volcanoes?
Topic # 7 Energy Resources
- What are the different sources of energy in the Philippines? Where are they found? (You can show a map, photos, and charts/tables)
- Are these energy sources renewable or nonrenewable?
- Do these energy sources harm the environment? If so, how can the environment be protected from the harm caused by these energy sources?
Topic # 8 The Earth’s Atmosphere
- What are the different layers of the Earth’s atmosphere? Describe each layer. (Show photo/diagram)
- What is the relationship between temperature and altitude (height)? Which layer has the lowest temperature? Which has the highest?
- What is the Greenhouse effect? How does it happen? What are its causes? What are its effects? (Show photo or diagram)
- Is the Earth getting warmer or cooler? (Show evidences)
Topic #9 Wind
- What are the causes of the movement of air in the atmosphere? (Show illustration)
- What are monsoons? Where do habagat and amihan come from? (Show illustration) How do they affect us? (Show photos)
- What is the ITCZ? How does it affect us?
Please download and use the form below to assess the participation of the group members: